Gen Z Discover Walking

 ‘Silent walking’ is a movement taking Gen Z by storm, but it’s copping criticism

In yet another groundbreaking show of innovation, Gen Z has created a new trend. This time, they’ve invented walking - without any technology.

Imagine, going for a walk, without a podcast blasting dopamine in your ears. No camera to capture those Instagram moments. No Strava to announce your exercise and home address to the world. No speakerphone call to share with other pedestrians who you’ll ignore.

Just you, the wind, and the birds.

Ms Maio said the first two minutes of her walk were “mayhem”, until she hit a “flow state”, when “suddenly you can … hear yourself.”

So stunning and brave was podcaster Maio that she was able to endure 2 whole minutes of anxiety before she was able to mellow into a state of “flow”.

Whether she then realised the anxiety reducing effects of technology-absent walking is not clear.

Following these “silent walks”, influencers then loudly post a video when they get home to make sure their followers know that they were on a silent walk. Because otherwise, how would anyone know?

As a Gen X, I’ve been silent walking since long before it was cool. In fact, I don’t even have a smart watch, so often I’ll have no idea how far I’ve walked, how many steps I’ve done, or even how long I was out. Sometimes I’ll see a nice bird, and I’ll have to look at it with my eyes for a bit before it flies off.

The other day, I was out without my phone/camera, and there was a sunset. Like the old man I am, I had to be present and enjoy it. Afterwards, I could only explain its awe in words. Words. I thought about putting those words onto a meme of some kind, but decided to cook dinner instead.

It’s great that Gen Z are discovering how great the world can be without technology. I can’t wait for their next technology-rejecting trend.

I really hope it’s letter writing, which they’ll probably name “slow messaging”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ethical Implications of Dismantling the Planet Mercury

Guns Might Be the Least of Our Worries

Living Longer - A World of Wisdom?